18 September 2010

Strammer Max. Dinner for one.


As Flo is often working the late shift in the last weeks, I spend many evenings alone. Which is absolutely fine by me, if it weren't for the fact that cooking and eating alone is not really fun. At least for me. So most times, I stick to something quick and simple to make. And in the best case it's filling, too.

Strammer Max is one of those simple dishes - it's more of an open-faced sandwich with ham and fried egg. Ready to eat in minutes and giving you that warm, fuzzy feeling, even if you have to defend it against the cats.

STRAMMER MAX
open-faced ham and egg sandwich

2 slices of bread, toasted
butter
Dijon mustard
2 slices ham
2 eggs
salt and pepper


First, fry yourself some eggs. I like to use butter on medium heat and salt only the whites. The salt helps denaturing the proteins. Which is good, as I like the yolks runny, but the whites firm.


While the eggs are frying, toast yourself some bread. I only had toast, but use any kind of bread you like. Rye also tastes great with ham and egg.

Butter the bread and then smear on some Dijon mustard. Just for kicks.


Lay the ham on the bread and put it all on a nice, big plate. Just because you're eating alone, doesn't mean you can't do it with style.


Arrange the fried eggs over the ham and sprinkle one a generous amount of pepper. Eat at once.

0 comments:

Post a Comment