05 June 2010

Cosmopolitan & White Russian. Carrie meets the Dude.


As much as I like browsing through a menu and ordering a cocktail, I often had the feeling that you get more show than taste. While I think it's impressive when somebody can juggle full bottles of vodka, I think the taste is way more important. What's the use of a good show if you can barely drink the result? Believe me, I had my share of undrinkable Caipirinhas and Mai Tais.

So here are two very famous cocktails you can make at home with no show and no equipment at all. One got very popular with "Sex and the City" - though I'm not a big fan of this show, I like the cocktail that's strong, a little bitter and not too sweet. On the other side of the spectrum lies the White Russian, introduced to the masses by the Dude a.k.a. "The Big Lebowsky". The cocktail is sweet and smooth, the film is not.


All the hardware you need are some glasses, a spoon and some kind of measuring device for the liquids. I use a jigger I bought at IKEA for around 2 bucks, sporting a 2 cl and a 4 cl side. But you don't have to go and buy stuff, just look around in your kitchen: a shot glass, an espresso cup, hey - even those breakfast egg cups you never use will work just fine.

Now grab some ice cubes and let's begin:



WHITE RUSSIAN

1 part vodka
1 part Kahlua
1 part milk or half and half


Grab a handful of ice cubes - or in this case, ice doughnuts - and put them into a glass. No fancy stuff here, just a regular juice glass. Fill in the vodka and the Kahlua.


Top off with milk or half and half (half milk, half cream for the non-Americans) and give it a stir if you like.
Put on a brown bathrobe and stay away from nihilists.


COSMOPOLITAN

1 part triple sec
2 parts vodka
3-6 parts cranberry juice, according to taste


Again, a handful of ice goes into a glass, then fill in the triple sec and the vodka. No magic here.


Fill in as much cranberry juice as you like - and remember your favorite ratio for the next round.
Put on your highheels and invite your friends over.

0 comments:

Post a Comment